When you drink, about 90% of the alcohol is metabolized (broken down) by your liver. The first step in this process is that your liver uses enzymes to convert the alcohol into acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is highly toxic and a carcinogen, so the liver works very hard to process it quickly to avoid poisoning.
In order to break down the acetaldehyde, the liver then uses glutathione to neutralize it so that it can be safely excreted in the urine. Known as the body’s master antioxidant, glutathione is the body’s most important weapon in the battle against alcohol toxicity and DNA damage. Unfortunately, alcohol depletes glutathione as well as other antioxidants like vitamin C and B, making the liver’s job even more difficult.
In order for the process to go smoothly, 1) the liver must have a good supply of glutathione and 2) the alcohol must be consumed slowly: about one drink per hour. So, if you consume two or three drinks within one hour, your liver’s glutathione reserves are unlikely to be high enough to neutralize all of the acetaldehyde. The poisonous acetaldehyde will accumulate in your body causing increasing skin temperature, headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, dropping blood pressure and bronchoconstriction.
But acetaldehyde accumulation is more dangerous than just feeling rough the next day. Acetaldehyde destroys enzymes (like glutathione), proteins, and liver cells, damages brain cells and nerves, and causes DNA damage that can lead to disease. Even if you only drink one or two glasses of wine a day, your body’s glutathione will be depleted, leaving your immune system vulnerable and causing increased free radical damage and toxin accumulation.
LiveLife® contains natural ingredients that studies show help the liver efficiently metabolize alcohol.